Spar International has reported its fiscal year (FY) 2018 results for the year ended 31 December 2018.
Global retail sales increased 5.4% year-over-year (y-o-y) at constant currency basis to EUR35.8 billion.
- Western Europe sales grew 4.1% to EUR22.1 billion from a total of 9,680 stores.
- Spar Austria sales increased 4% y-oy to EUR6.88 billion.
- Spar Netherlands sales increased exceptionally 15.8% y-o-y.
- Spar Belgium sales increased 5.1% y-o-y.
- Spar France sales increased 5.5% y-o-y.
- Spar Spain sales increased 6.1% y-o-y.
- Central & Eastern Europe sales grew 15.8% y-o-y to EUR5.8 billion.
- Spar Hungary sales saw strong sales growth of 9.8% y-o-y.
- Spar Russia sales increased 27.8% y-o-y in local currency to EUR2 billion.
- Africa and Middle East sales increased 8.2% y-o-y to EUR5.9 billion
- Spar South Africa sales grew 5.7% y-o-y at constant exchange rates to EUR4.9 billion
- Asia reported turnover of EUR1.96 billion from 573 stores.
- Spar Sri Lanka launched in early 2018.
- Spar China reported sales of EUR1.5 billion.
- Spar India sales grew 24.5% y-o-y to EUR0.18 billion.
- Spar China plans to open more than 150,000 square metres of retail space in 2019.
- Spar Russia plans store expansion and sales growth with the new Spar Partner license agreement signed at the end of 2018.
- Plans for expansion in Central & Eastern Europe and also in South and Central America.
At the end of the reporting period, SPAR operated 13,112 stores in 48 countries worldwide (including entry into four new countries) with a total selling area of 7.4 million square metres.
Source: Spar International