Costco's net sales increased 7% to USD 7.25 billion for the four-week period ending April 29, 2012.
- Comparable club sales (comps) increased 4% in the US and 3% internationally for a total company increase of 4%; excluding the effects of gasoline price inflation and foreign currencies, comps increased 4% in the US and 7% internationally for a total company increase of 5%.
- Average transaction was up slightly year-over-year, including a negative impact of slightly less than -1% due to gas inflation and FX.
- Comp traffic increased year-over-year by 3.5%.
- Gas inflation positively impacted total comps by about 0.25% and US comps by slightly over 0.25%.
- Strongest performing regions in the US were the Midwest, Texas, Southeast and Northeast; internationally, Mexico and Canada posted the strongest results.
On a department basis, Costco reported the following comps results, excluding FX effects.
- Food and sundries comps were in the mid single-digit range. Strongest performing departments were sundries, candy and deli. Food and sundries remained inflationary, in the low single-digit range year-over-year.
- Hardlines comps were positive in the low to mid single-digit range. Better performing departments included hardware, garden and sporting goods. Majors (electronics) was slightly negative; excluding majors, hardlines comps were in the mid single-digit range.
- Softlines comps were positive in the mid single-digit range. Small appliances, domestics and men's and women's apparel were among the better performing departments.
- Fresh food comps were positive in the mid single-digit range, with produce and deli performing strongest. Fresh foods continued to experience inflation in the low single-digit range.
- Within ancillary, hearing aid, photo and food court were the strongest performers. Gas comps were up low single-digit. The average price per gallon was USD 3.89, compared to USD 3.82 for the prior year, up 2%.
As of May 3, 2012, Costco operates 602 clubs: 435 in the United States and Puerto Rico, 82 in Canada, 32 in Mexico, 22 in the United Kingdom, 13 in Japan, eight in Taiwan, seven in Korea and three in Australia. It plans to open up to seven new buildings prior to its fiscal year end on September 2, 2012.